Founded in the 1920s, Wat Ananda Metyarama Thai Buddhist Temple is one of the oldest Thai Theravada Buddhist templesin Singapore. Originally situated at 83 Silat Road,
Wat Ananda Metyarama is the oldest Theravada Buddhist tradition Temple in Singapore. It was completed in 1925 with a land area of 18,317sq. feet. Formerly located at 83 Silat Road, Singapore, the new address is 50-B Jalan Bukit Merah, Singapore 169545.
Renovated in 1953
Renovated in 1975
Kwan - Yin in 1995
Renovated in 1997
The new Temple building in 2014
On the 5th of January 2014, the new Temple building was officially declared opened by MP for Tanjong Pagar GRC, Senior Minister of State for Law and Education Ms Indranee Rajah. Completed at a cost of about $6 million, it houses the monks abode, Dhamma Hall and Meditation Hall, cultural centre (museum), Dining Hall and rest area (open for public). Come join us in our festivals and events.
The founder of Wat Ananda Metyarama is Venerable Luang Phor Hong Dhammaratano (Phra Dhammaratano Bandit). He came to Singapore in 1920 with his disciple, Samanera Boonler. Upon noticing that there is no Theravada temple in Singapore at that time, they aspired to build one. Venerable Luang Phor Hong Dhammaratano passed away on 10th November 1952 and was cremated on 16th November 1952 by Thai Consul’s General PhrayaSrisayamcit with Thai Groups.
Venerable Phra Rajayankavee took over as his successor and revonated the temple in 1953. He served as the Chief Abbot twice; in between which Venerable Phra Maha Amnad Ithiyano took over.
Venerable Phraku Bisaldhammanides succeeded him and started the Youth Circle in 1966 (which is the first registered Buddhist Youth Circle in Singapore). Venerable Phraku Bisaldhammanides left for Bangkok in 1974.
Taking over his position is our current Chief Abbot, Venerable Chao Khun Phra Tepsiddhivides. Greatly revered for his ceaseless efforts to promote Buddhism, to teach the Dhamma and to give counsel and comfort to devotees and others, Venerable Chao Khun Phra Tepsiddhivides is also representing as one of the Buddhist religious leaders involved in the Inter-Religious Organisation (IRO), an organisation that promotes religious understanding and harmony in Singapore.
In 1975, Venerable Chao Khun Phra Tepsiddhivides renovated the temple and in 1979, he constructed the pagoda and a three storey residential block for the monks. The Pagoda was officially declared open by HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, the second daughter of King Bhumibol Adulyadej on 27 June 1985.
The following are the upgrading and extension of the Temple’s facilities by Venerable Chao Khun Phra Tepsiddhivides.
The construction of three storey extension which will house the library, Dhamma classrooms and Meditation Hall began in 1995. Its roof layout was a feature adopted from the Late Venerable Hong Choon’s idea.
During the year of 1995, Venerable Chao Khun PhraTepsiddhivides also constructed a golden Kwan Yin Shrine and a new porch beside the main shrine.
The building was completed in 1997, and offically opened in 20 June 1997 by Assoc. Prof Mr Koo Tsai Kee, former MP for Tanjong Pagar GRC.
On 23 February 1986 which also coincided with Magha Puja Day, the laying of the Holy Stones foundation (Nimitta Sima)was conducted. It was presided by His Excellency, the Late field marshal Thanom Kittikachorn. With the ceremony completed, Wat Ananda Metyarama now has the authority to ordain monks.
These are all possible with the generous donations and support given by Singaporean, Malaysian and Thai devotees and friends, in addition to the enlightened government policy of preserving a multi-racial and multi-religious Singapore.
On the 5th of January 2014, the new Temple building (previously monk quarters) was officially opened by MP for Tanjong Pagar GRC, Senior Minister of State for Law and Education, Ms Indranee Rajah. The new building features a Dhamma Hall, Mediation Hall, Cultural Centre (Museum), Conference Room, Dining Hall, Rest Area, Sunday Class and the Monks abode.